Monday, April 4, 2011

'heart' (vb. trans) makes it into OED!?

Have you no ♥?

Mar 26th 2011, 14:20 by R.L.G. | LONDON

I did decide to blog because I was briefly confused by one piece of what seemed to be genuinely surprising news: that the dictionary had included an entry for ♥, pronounced "heart", and defined as a transitive verb meaning "to love". That would be weird—what other pronounceable symbols might be included?  But that's apparently not the case. There is no headword for ♥.  The dictionary merely included a new sense of "heart" under that word, not the symbol. People have been writing "heart" as a transitive verb for a thousand years (meaning roughly "to hearten"), and in this new sense for a while. The entry includes these citations:
    [1983    Associated Press (Nexis) 16 Nov.,   From Berlin to the Urals, teen-agers wear T-shirts reading, ‘Elvis’, ‘Always Stoned’, and ‘I (heart) New York’.
    1984    About Helmet Visor Screws in net.cycle (Usenet newsgroup) 26 June,   Joe ‘I heart my dogs [sic] head’ Weinstein.
    1986    Daily Collegian (Pennsylvania State Univ.) 14 Feb. 2/3,   I just want to say to my Bunny Boo I Heart you Kathleen. 
    1998    Houston Chron. 10 May (Chronilog section) 7/1,   I think he's so cute. I heart him to bits.
    2003    Time Out N.Y. 7 Aug. 77/1   If you heart dance like DJ Scott does, then hie thee down to this little drink spot tonight.
    2009    A. Ham et al. Middle East (Lonely Planet) (ed. 6) 141/1   We heart the brownies (E£4).
    2010    Observer 18 July 13/4,   I hearted Take That‥with a teary passion that was deemed unbecoming in a Jesus and Mary Chain fan.
So the OED included some words people use.  Nothing to see here.

Update: But you can see a member of the new-words group on the dictionary staff explaining a bit of the thinking behind "heart" and "OMG" here.




Source: http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2011/03/lexicography

No comments:

Post a Comment