Friday, March 11, 2011

Speak it with Conviction! - Taylor Mali

Speak with Conviction in Typography: Poem by Taylor Mali

February 16, 2011


Things to note:
  • Language of Gen-Y moving towards "invisible interrogatives" where declaratives and imperatives are becoming interrogative at the end
    • eg. "This hot dog is so good even when it's like cold(?)"/
    • eg. "My mobile phone has an awesome ringtone when it's not being used by you, (okay?)"/
    • eg. "Don't think I'm a nerd just 'cause I've noticed this, (okay?)"/
  • Increased use of High Rising Terminal
    • Seeks to include, "I'm just like inviting you to join me on the bandwagon of my own uncertainty"
  • Vagueness and ambiguous phrases are used.
    • eg. "we are the most aggressively inarticulate generation, to come along since you know, a long time ago"
    • eg. "Declarative sentences, so called because they used to like you know, declare things that used to be true, okay? As opposed to other things that are like totally, you know, not?"


Source: http://aggslanguage.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/speak-with-conviction-in-typography-poem-by-taylor-mali/

No comments:

Post a Comment