Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Intensive pronoun 'myself'

In English

An intensive pronoun is a pronoun used to add emphasis to a statement; for example, "I did it myself." While English intensive pronouns use the same form as reflexive pronouns, an intensive pronoun is different from a reflexive, because the pronoun can be removed without altering the meaning of the sentence. An intensive noun works with the antecedent, the word the pronoun replaces. For example, compare "I will do it myself", where "myself" is intensive and can be removed without changing the meaning, to "I nominated myself", where "myself" fills the necessary role of direct object.example:He himself is to blame.(Himself is used to emphasize he);)


Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensive_pronoun

No comments:

Post a Comment